Monday, September 26, 2011

Peanut Butter and Banana

Someone I know bought my artwork at the Hiwassee benefit. It's my first sale. Wish me luck.

            My parents were starting out after dark in a sleet storm for some last minute shopping on Christmas Eve. I worried I’d never see them again, but they said they’d be all right. I don’t remember much about the celebration in the late afternoon (we always started around 4 p.m.) at my grandmother’s, but I recall that Lady and the Tramp was on television. I asked as my folks headed out the door if I could set up the organ while they were gone, since I officially would take possession the next day. They didn’t object, so I slowly began to affix the stand to the organ’s lower body.
            When it came to keyboard supports it was a different game back then. Console organs, with their volume and bass pedals attached to the overall cabinets, were all in one deals, but portable organs were something else. Farfisa organ legs folded and secured under the chasse and formed, when closed, a suitcase type box complete with a suitcase-like handle for easy carrying. That’s a bit of a laugh because carrying one wasn’t easy. I’m not sure how much the single manual, 61 key unit weighed, but it was heavy, probably in excess of 75 pounds. My little Gem unit was a different system. Like the Farfisa and many other portable organs, it turned into a suitcase when the top cover was secured. The legs, however, fit into an independent carrying case made of a plastic that was stronger and tougher than the organ itself. Alone, the Gem wasn’t so heavy, but there were two pieces to tote, so I guess it evened out.
            By the time my folks returned the organ was ready to go. Though I did not yet have an amplifier, I had pre-borrowed CEP’s Estey so I could play a bit, which I had done before my parents returned. I couldn’t really say what songs I took off on, but in all likelihood they included 96 Tears and Louie Louie, two songs that I sort of knew. I’m sure my parents requested a tune and I’m sure I repeated one of those.
            I dutifully opened presents on Christmas morning, but really didn’t give a shit for anything but the organ and the LPs I got from my parents and CEP. I tried to look impressed and happy for the gifts, and they really weren’t bad. As usual, I got a new crop of clothing and maybe a couple of toys, and the albums I got included two by Paul Revere and The Raiders, and one from CEP entitled, Groovy Is…The Chords, which I still have. (The Chords were studio musicians and singers contracted to reproduce covers of hits by other artists. I thought they sounded quite good. In an aside, while watching The Disney Channel with my step daughter a few years ago, I discovered through a Disney advertisement that such recordings were still in production.) Who cared? I turned on the radio in the living room and attempted to play along with whatever came up. I was able to pick out a little of House of the Rising Sun before my parents put a stop to my playing for awhile. I got back at them by listening to my new LPs.
            My little rig moved to my bedroom before the New Year portion of the holiday, and CEP and I practiced, me at the organ, he vocalizing, shortly thereafter (we also wrote our second song: My Baby’s the Lovin Kind). In the meantime I practiced my chords and riffs and made sure I sat near the keyboard players whenever I went to dances because that was as good as a free lesson, and a goodly amount of my early repertoire was gleaned via that method. I didn’t have to wait very long for a tryout with another musician. I didn’t realize that keyboard players were kind of rare and at times in demand for bands looking to expand sounds in towns like Madisonville. Know it or not, I was on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment